Search This Blog

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Israel Couscous and Lentil Salad

It has been some time since I posted anything. Life has just been busy. So I like to make recipes that are quick and easy. I made this salad recently with ingredients on hand and I was pleased. You can use whatever salad dressing that you like. Or you can make your own. I used rasberry vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and various seasonings like basil, parsley, onion powder, etc . These are all dry spices and typical spices you would find in Italian dressing. I think I may have added adobo all purpose seasoning. You just use what you like.


Israel Couscous and Lentil Salad

Serves two

1/2 cup lentils, sorted and rinsed
1/2 cup Israel Couscous
3 cups water
1/2 of a 3 oz small onion, sliced (I like to leave in small rings)
2 medium tomatoes, sliced and halved if pieces are too big
salad dressing of choice or make your own


-Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a 2 quart pot.
- Add the lentils and simmer, stirring occasional for ten minutes.
- Then add the couscous and the other 1 cup water. Cover leaving a slight opening for steam to escape. Bring to a boil, uncover and simmer for another ten minutes stirring occasional.
- Taste the mixture and see if it is soft and tender.
- Drain into a collander and run cold water over it until it is cooled down.
- Put in a bowl and mix the rest of the ingredients. Enjoy.


Thank you for coming to my blog. Please come back again soon.

Gnewvegan

2 comments:

CPVegan said...

After 35 years as an ovo-lacto vegetarian, I became a vegan in November 2007...2 months after you!
I also felt the need to start a blog and include it here for you to enjoy as I today have been enjoying yours.:
http://cpvegan.blogspot.com/
Please drop me a note if you make a visit.
Carl

Gnewvegan said...

Thank you for reading my blog. I will check yours out.