Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Vegan French Toast by Gnewvegan

On the weekends I enjoy spending a little more time on breakfast because during the week it is usually not possible. French toast is one of those recipes I enjoy. Here is my recipe for veganized French Toast. Treat yourself to a tasty breakfast treat. You can serve this with fruit, vegan breakfast sausage or bacon..

French Toast

Serves one

Ingredients

2 slices whole wheat toast
1 Tablespoon apple sauce (not chunky)
4 Tablespoons plain soy milk
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon vegan margarine (or more if needed)
Ground cinnamon, desired amount. (optional)

Directions

1- In a breading pan (or dish) combine the apple sauce, soy milk, water, and cinnamon if using. Mix well to have a smooth mixture.
2- Preheat a non- stick griddle for about one minute. Melt margarine in pan, spread over pan with spatula.
3- Dip each slice of bread in apple/ soy mixture and coat both sides well. (* see G note)
4- Place on griddle and brown both sides, about 4 to 5 minutes each side, until desired level of brown. (* see G note) Serve as desired.

G Note - * When coating the bread sometimes I find you have to take a fork and smear some parts of the bread that may not have been fully coated.
* When browning the bread I find that 4 to 5 minutes is the general time of browning I like. Sometimes it may take 3 minutes when doing the second side due to increase heat on the griddle . My suggestion is to lift up one side of the bread with a spatula and see if there is a nice even coating of brown.

Thank you for coming to my blog. I hope to see you again soon.

Gnewvegan

No comments: