Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Vegetable and Tomato Stew

It has been some time since my last post. I am very sad to say that the reason why is because my nan, whom I loved so dearly and forever will, passed away on Dec. 21, 2009. I decided to post a recipe that I made for her when I was trying to find things that she would still enjoy. She was ill and it was not always easy to find the right thing for her. Either because her taste buds had changed or she just was not up to eating what she normally would. I would make variations of soups and this was one of them. I hope you enjoy it.

Vegetable and Tomato Stew

Serves 4 at 1 ¼ cup per person

(Makes 5 cups)

(4 oz) 1 small onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
1 14.5 oz can vegetable broth (or bouillon mix)
1 cup water
½ teaspoon dry parsley
½ teaspoon fresh basil, finely chopped
Pinch of black pepper
1 16 oz bag frozen stew vegetables or soup, (carrots, celery, onions, potatoes)
½ cup elbows
Vegan parmesan cheese, as desired

-Heat up a 3 qt pot for one minute and then the oil about one minute.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pot, brown lightly, stirring occasional.
-Add the tomatoes with their juice, broth and water. Cover and bring to a boil.
-Add the vegetables and seasonings. Cover and bring to a boil.
-Uncover and simmer on a low to medium flame, stirring occasional.
-After 10 minutes add the elbows, and continue to simmer, stirring occasional for 8 to 10 minutes more
until vegetables are tender.
-Serve and sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired.

Note- After a while if this is not served right away you will have to add a bit more water just to keep a stew consistency and then adjust seasonings if desired. If you reheat the next day you can add some water at that time or do not add water and heat and serve like a pasta dish.

Thank you for coming to my blog.

Gnewvegan

No comments: