Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Vegetable Shortening

I was going through old recipes of my Nan and saw recipes with Crisco as an ingredient needed. I had a feeling it was vegan because it is vegetable shortening but went online to find out for sure. From what I read it appears it is vegan. However, because I also remember a cooking show saying to use non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening I read further. When researching this I read that hydrogenated shortening is not good for you related to the trans. fats. I saw on line there is a product by Spectrum that could be found in an organic or health food store. Here is the link for that product:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/318762/review_of_spectrum_organic_vegetable.html

I also saw non hydrogenated butter as a suggestion. Earth Balance makes vegan butters and margarines that are free of trans fats and hydrogenated oils. I use this product and have never been disappointed. I really do not use vegetable shortening but I thought this would be good information in case I needed to or if anyone else had this question.


Thank you for coming to my blog. Please come back again soon.

Gnewvegan

No comments: