Search This Blog

Monday, December 10, 2007

Polenta- My first taste

I have seen a few cooks on TV make recipes with Polenta but I did not think I would like it. Well, today I decided to give it a try and I am glad I did. I love to cook and I have ideas buzzing around my brain of things I can make already with polenta. I love when I try a new product that can be versatile. I tried polenta from a recipe in a book I have mentioned in my first post by Nava Atlas, "The Vegetarian 5 ingredient gourmet". This book is not vegan but as you will see in my blog, recipes can be made vegan. I would highly recommend her book for it has helped me into a new journey of eating. I also had my first taste of tofu with one of her recipes. Thanks Nava!!
Here is the recipe I made tonight from her book. I did not use the exact amounts she states because I did not want to make 3 to 4 servings. But it still came out great...


Polenta with sauteed Bell Peppers
3 to 4 servings


one 16 oz tube polenta
2 tablespoons light olive oil
1 large onion, quartered and sliced
2 medium green or red bell peppers, or one of each, cut into narrow strips
1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/4 tsp dried oregano, optional
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste


1- cut polenta into 12 equal slices, each about ½ inch thick. Heat one tablespoon of the oil on a nonstick griddle or wide skillet. Arrange the polenta slices on the griddle. Cook both sides over medium heat until golden and crisp at least 10 minutes per side.

2- Meanwhile heat the remaining one tablespoon oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and saute over medium heat until golden. Add the bell pepper strips and continue to saute, stirring frequently, until tender and just beginning to be touched with brown spots.

3- Stir in the optional oregano and season with a little salt and pepper. To serve, place 3 to 4 slices of polenta on each plate and spoon some of the pepper mixture over them.

If you have never tried polenta this recipe by Nava is a good start. It is very good and easy to follow. If you like polenta maybe you might want to give this one a try.
Thank you for coming to my blog.


Happy vegan cooking

Gnewvegan

No comments: