Search This Blog

Sunday, January 18, 2009

I tried TVP for the first time

On 2-10-08 I wrote a post about what TVP is. Here is the link to that post:

http://invitationfrom-gnewvegan.blogspot.com/2008/02/what-is-tvp.html

I decided I wanted to try it so I did some research on the net to find the simplest recipe I could to make this. Here is the link to the recipe I used. I did not do the recipe exactly as it stated because I used seasonings I had available. But I cooked it the way the recipe said to. I really just wanted to get a taste of TVP and the consistency so I could apply it to my own recipes. I also decreased the amount of ingredients just enough for me. I found TVP in a container in an organic grocery store. It was on an open shelf, not refrigerated.


http://vegetarian.about.com/od/maindishentreerecipes/r/tvptacos.htm

I took pictures as I was cooking in different stages and then the final product which you will see below.

The first picture is when the TVP was first in the pan being reconstituted with water.






This is when I added the peppers and onions plus seasonings.



Now It is ready to put in my tortilla.



And here is the finished product.



All in all I enjoyed my dinner. At first, maybe it is just my sense of smell, the TVP had a chicken odor when it was being reconstituted. I have started to develop an aversion to certain smells since I have been vegan so maybe that is why I was sensitive. But that quickly dissipated when I added my seasonings. I could see how this could be used for things like sloppy joes and this taco. It has a thick type consistency needed for those recipes. This is kind of like tofu to me where you may have to acquire a taste for it or play around with it to get the consistency and taste you like. I did like it but it is different so I would need to make some more recipes. But I would use this again and had a nice filling dinner. I had that same full feeling I got when I started eating tofu for the first time. I always find it enjoyable to try new things and then creating new recipes with that ingredient.


Thank you for coming to my blog. Please come back again soon.

Gnewvegan


No comments: