Search This Blog

Friday, February 8, 2008

"Veganized" Recipe

I have a recipe that I am not sure where I found. I think it came from a magazine that I use to use when I ate chicken. It is called “One- Pan Tomato Basil Chicken”. In one of my recent posts you will read that I finally made the home made seitan. I have quite a bit in my freezer and decided I would like to try it with the chicken recipe. This is to show you how I take a recipe and make it vegan and you can do it to!! What I will do is write the recipe in its original form and then below it write what I did. Please note I did not measure everything properly as I just wanted to make enough for two servings that day and just “eyed it”. That is the fun thing about recipes. You do not always have to do it exactly the way it says... Your tastes may not be exactly as the recipe says so you change it a little. I enjoyed this recipe and would indeed make it again.

One Pan Tomato Basil Chicken (Original)

1 package (6.9 oz) Rice- a Roni- Chicken flavor
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, about 4 halves, chopped
2 cups broccoli flowerets
1 medium tomato chopped
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 cup (4 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)

step 1 - In a large skillet, saute the rice- vermicelli mix as the package directs.
Step 2- Stir in 2 cups of water, chicken and contents of seasoning packet: bring to a boil over high heat.
Step 3- Cover, reduce heat to low. Simmer 10 minutes.
Step 4- Stir in broccoli, tomato and basil. Cover and simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.

Serves 4

My changes-

1- Rice a roni chicken flavor does not sound vegan to me. So, I decided to just make the rice mixture myself. I wanted two servings so I had some instant brown rice in the cabinet. I measured enough for two servings per the box directions. Then I used the proper water amount per the package directions and used vegetable bouillon in the water. I added spices that I liked in the water and cooked the rice per the box directions.
2- While the rice was cooking I took 2 pieces of the seitan I made (they were thick meat size pieces) , sliced them and then cubed them. I put those pieces in a plastic bag and threw some flour in the bag. I shaked the bag to coat the seitan pieces well. Then I heated a non stick 10 “ skillet about a minute ; then I heated up some extra virgin olive oil in the heated skillet about a minute. I put the pieces of seitan in the heated skillet and browned each side , just about a minute or two to make a nice golden brown color.
3- In the same skillet, I put the rice, with the seitan, broccoli flowerets, a chopped tomato, dried basil, and vegan mozzarella cheese. I stirred it to mix well and partial covered. On a low- medium flame I simmered it, stirring occasionally until the broccoli was done. About 5 to 7 minutes. That depends on how you like your broccoli.
4- You could sprinkle with vegan parmesan cheese if you like.

And that was my dinner with a nice salad..

As I stated in my very first post, part of this blog is to show you how you can change a non vegan recipe to being vegan... You do not have to get rid of the recipes you liked before just learn the substitutes and enjoy your new lifestyle choice!!!

Happy Vegan cooking

Thank you for coming to my blog and I hope to see you again soon.

Gnewvegan

No comments: