Search This Blog

Monday, February 11, 2008

The 10,000 steps a day challenge

Some months ago I met a college age woman who was wearing a pedometer. We started talking and she told me why she was wearing it. She was working on some kind of project to encourage people to take a certain amount of steps per day. I do not remember how many steps she said you need to help your heart be healthy. I thought it was a pretty cool idea. But of course, time goes on, life goes on, and here I am months later finally doing it. When I became vegan it was not for health reasons. And as I have stated in previous posts I am not a nutritionist so I am not making any claims about being vegan and your health. But for me personally, I feel better physically and spiritually. I have more energy then I did before and I think when you feel better overall you want to continue doing things to make you feel better about yourself and your health. I practice yoga with home DVD’s and low impact aerobics. I am also thinking of giving pilates a try. But a family member got a free pedometer and gave it to me and I thought, why not!! I should take the 10,000 steps a day challenge. I say 10, 000 steps a day from articles I found on the internet. From what I read , the goal would be to reach 10, 000 steps a day (5 miles a day). I did not look for a long time on the net but the information I read said there is no definitive research which says that if you do this your heart will be healthy. But when you do read information about a healthy heart and lifestyle walking does come up as a good form of exercise. Of course, you should not enter into any exercise program or task without consulting your physician. Below I will copy and paste links to the sites I read. I am wearing a pedometer right now since this morning. Today is housecleaning day but you are still taking steps!! It’s almost 4 in the afternoon and I have 1,145 steps so far today.. I think that is amazing considering I am home. Of course there will be days that I will forget to put it on, but I am going to try and take this challenge, chart my steps per the guide on the links below and see if eventually I can reach 10,000 steps a day.. I am going to post on my site a survey to see how many of my readers think they want to try the challenge and do the challenge. I will try to post my weekly steps the end of each week. For those who join in this challenge comments about your weekly steps are welcome. Let’s not only be vegan together but step together with the pedometer challenge!!!

http://www.dietandfitnessresources.co.uk/fitness_exercise/10000_steps.htm

http://www.vhi.ie/hfiles/hf-338.jsp

http://www.active.com/walking/Articles/Many_set_healthy_goal_of_10_000_steps_per_day.htm

Thank you for coming to my blog and I hope to see you again soon.

Gnewvegan

2 comments:

Geraldine said...

I think wearing a pedometer is a great idea,one that I need to look at starting again. What I was surprised about when I did was how fast I got to 6000 steps each day and more. It does take more than walking around at home, etc...though as you obviously already know. A great way to monitor progress. Thanks for the reminder. :<)

Gnewvegan said...

You are right !!! It is amazing to see how many steps you are really taking... And once you reach the 10,000 steps it is a good incentive to keep going... I think.. :) And you are welcome. :)