Search This Blog

Sunday, February 10, 2008

What is TVP?

I started to write this post and looked out my window at what seemed like a snow storm starting to brew.. I was driving home earlier and it was a nice sunny day.. Then later on at home, I see a gray sky , wind and snow coming down... Shortly after the sun is out and the sky is blue. Now as I type this the gray of the sky above has overtaken the sun again... This winter has surely been one of weather mystery. My cats are not sure what to think either. When it was snowing they were looking out the window at the fallen snow and then their show was gone.. My kitties actually love the snow.. I do not allow them to be outside cats but with me to supervise can go on the platform outside my door (which I refer to as my balcony) gated in.. And they have played in the snow.. Now on to TVP :) I have not used this product but was interested to find out what it was. When I need a crumbled “meat” product I use the already made crumbled meat you can find either in the regular grocery store or a whole food store. I did some research on the net and here is some information on TVP. Oh, My, as I am writing this the snow prevails!!! It is coming down.. Burrr.. The show is on kitties...

Article one:

"Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)?
Also known as textured soy protein, TVP is not tofu. It is, however, made from soy. TVP comes from defatted soy flour, which is a by-product of soybean oil, so it is plentiful in supply. It’s also quick to cook and a great source of vegetable protein without all the fat.
TVP comes in small dry chunks resembling, well, dried vegetables more than anything, or in a finely-ground form. It’s flavorless, but when you rehydrate it and add your own flavors, it makes a great protein-filled addition to many dishes calling for ground meat. Because of its varying texture, it’s versatile, and can take on the texture of many meats. For instance, it’s excellent in chili, tacos, veggie burgers and soups.

A 43-gram serving of TVP contains 120 calories and 21 grams of protein and hardly any fat. Since it’s so high in protein, it makes a great transition meat substitute; but since North Americans eat more protein than our bodies can process, you should gradually reduce or even eliminate TVP as well.
When it’s used to replace meat in stews and soups, your family will hardly be able to tell the difference and since you can marinate it in many of the same sauces as meat, it can take on many of meat’s flavors.

Though TVP is much healthier than most meats, it’s still a high-protein processed food, and high-protein diets increase the rate at which you age. With minimal proteins and a high fruit and vegetable diet, you’ll achieve the best level of health.

Natural food stores, health food stores and large supermarkets generally carry TVP; check the bulk section if you can’t find it. "

Source : http://www.healthrecipes.com/textured_vegetable_protein.htm

At the moment I do not plan to use TVP but wanted to post this information in case someone else wondered what is TVP as I did.. And as for the show for my kitties, only one is at the window.. Mother nature is undecided at the moment. There is a partial gray/ blue in the sky, and no snow. The weather mystery continues..

Thank you for coming to my blog and I hope to see you again soon.

Gnewvegan

No comments: