Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Veganize a Recipe Time - “Sausage” and Kale Soup


Tonight’s Dinner – “Sausage” and Kale Soup

Here is a recipe I made from Woman’s day Magazine. Besides making my own recipes I like to show people that you can also veganize recipes. My blog is a combination of many things including the last statement. I will share the link here so you can see the original recipe and what I did to make it vegan. Now, I did not measure anything when I made this tonight. It was tasty and a recipe I will be saving.

http://www.womansday.com/Recipes/Sausage-Kale-Soup-Recipe

My Changes-Ingredients

Of course I did not use meat sausage. You can choose vegan sausage that you like. I like the brand Tofurky and used their Italian sausage. I think the Kielbasa would also go nice here.

I used vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.

I used Russet potatoes

I did not use fresh kale as I had the frozen kale on hand

Cooking Changes

Step one and two are combined excluding the sausage part. After the pot was heated I added some extra virgin olive oil to the pot until heated. I added the onions and garlic I chopped and browned /softened lightly. Add the broth and boil per the directions.

Step three I followed adding the potatoes and kale. At this point I also added the sausage that I cut into bite size pieces. (I actually thawed out the kale mostly by putting it in a colander and ran hot water over it until it was loosened before I added it to the pot.) Then I cooked it per the directions until the potatoes and kale became tender. I cooked it about 20 minutes stirring occasionally. At the end if you did not add enough broth you could always add some. I did not add the red pepper flakes and instead added vegan parmesan cheese.

I like to do this to show people that recipes can be veganized and you do not have to follow recipes exactly as written. Do not be afraid, change it to your taste, to what you have on hand and mangia!!!

Buon appetite.


Thank you for coming to my blog. Please come back again soon.

Gnewvegan

No comments: