Search This Blog

Friday, January 4, 2008

Couscous Salad with Roasted Vegetables and chickpeas

This is a recipe from the internet source below.

I made some changes because I wanted to utilized my soybeans. See the end of the recipe for what I did. This is a tasty recipe.

Couscous salad with roasted vegetables and chickpeas

Prep: 30 minutes Total: 1 hour

Aromatic cumin, lemon, and scallions add Middle Eastern allure to this vegetarian salad. Chickpeas and whole-wheat couscous provide complete protein.(Excerpt from Every day food)

Ingredients
Serves 4.

1 pound carrots, sliced 3/4 inch thick on the diagonal
1 head cauliflower (3 pounds), cored and cut into florets
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
3 tablespoons olive oil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 cup whole-wheat couscous
1 tablespoon lemon zest, plus 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (from 3 lemons)
1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
6 scallions, thinly sliced
5 ounces baby arugula

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place carrots and cauliflower on a rimmed baking sheet; toss with cumin and 2 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and pepper. Spread half the vegetables on a second baking sheet. Roast until browned and tender, 25 to 30 minutes, rotating sheets and tossing halfway through. Cool to room temperature.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/4 cups salted water to a boil. Stir in couscous; cover and remove from heat. Let stand until tender, 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork; set aside to cool, uncovered.
Make dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together lemon zest and juice and remaining tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, combine roasted vegetables with couscous, chickpeas, and scallions. Place arugula on a serving platter, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon dressing. Add remaining dressing to couscous mixture, and toss; serve over arugula.

Gnotes- Instead of the chickpeas I used soy beans from the can. I simply drained and rinsed them before use and used them as per the directions in the recipe. I do like chickpeas, but I wanted to try this with the soy beans. To make the process quicker, I used frozen cut krinkle carrots and frozen cut cauliflower(not thawed). I used my toaster oven to roast the vegetables (line the toaster oven baking sheet with aluminum foil). I did not have scallions on hand so I simply chopped up some white onion. I am not a fan of arugula so I did not use that. I also did not have lemons on hand so I simply made an Italian dressing with Extra Virgin Olive oil, red wine vinegar and seasonings. And finally, I enjoyed it warm. I did not follow the amounts exactly because I only made one serving size. I enjoyed it and would make it again.

source:
http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.fc77a0dbc44dd1611e3bf410b5900aa0/?vgnextoid=1565aff0aedf6110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&rsc=type_2&autonomy_kw=couscous with roasted vegetables a



Thank you for coming to my blog. Please come back again soon.

Happy Vegan Cooking

Gnewvegan

No comments: