Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

What is seitan

I recently learned about seitan which led me to learning about the nutritional yeast flakes I discussed in my earlier post. Here is an excerpt from a web site on what seitan is. You will see links for various seitan recipes and how to make seitan. I have noticed that some recipes use nutritional yeast flakes and some do not. The recipe for home-made seitan in this site did not. You can also buy all ready made seitan in the store. I found it where the tofu was.

"Definition: Although it is made from wheat, seitan has little in common with flour or bread. Also called “wheat meat”, “wheat gluten” or simply “gluten”, seitan becomes surprisingly similar to the look and texture of meat when cooked, making it a popular meat substitute. Asian restaurants often use seitan as a vegetarian mock meat, and seitan is also the base for several commercially available products such as tofurky deli slices. Seitan can be prepared by hand using either whole wheat flour or vital wheat gluten and is made by rinsing away the starch in the wheat, leaving A high protein gluten behind. . Although not as common as tofu, seitan is quickly gaining popularity, particularly in vegetarian restaurants, due to its ability to take on the texture and flavor of meat
Prepared seitan can be found in the refrigerated section of most health food stores."

Source- http://vegetarian.about.com/od/glossary/g/Seitan.htm

making seitan- http://vegetarian.about.com/od/cookingtipstools/ss/HowToSeitan.htm

G note- I am also including a blog site for a author's blog, Nava Atlas. I have mentioned her before as an inspiration to me when I first became vegetarian (pre-becoming vegan). She has a recipe for Jerk-spiced Seitan.
http://blog.vegkitchen.com/

Happy vegan cooking

Thank you for coming to my blog. I hope to see you again soon.

Gnewvegan

No comments: